Dec 19, 2013

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and DIY the APL Keyboard

Hello. This blog is not "How to DIY your custom keycaps".It is a log of struggling days.

Recently I read a book, "Masterminds of Programming: Conversations with the Creators of Major Programming Languages." (By translation, of course.) In a chapter, the author interviewed APL's key person.

I knew APL. APL is a programming language which has been developed before C. Like many before-C-language, APL seems bizarre in the eyes of today. It uses a lot of mathematical symbols as primitive operators. These symbols are typed directly with keyboard, just like as alphabets, numbers and few mathematical operators(*, -, =, + and so on) today. As a matter of course, APL requires special keyboard!

As it happens, recently I read another book which mentions APL. "A Demon of Our Own Design: Markets, Hedge Funds, and the Perils of Financial Innovation." The author chronicles the golden age of APL. In 80's quants loved APL. The book is the first voice of the real APL ecosystem which I've heard.

In this way, I've interested in APL.

So I want an APL keyboard. I don't use APL, but it looks cool. My keyboard is worn out just in time. I've googled much and got a conclution: There is no brand-new APL keyboard available today. Secondhand is very rare, of course.

OK, I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment