Jan 2, 2014

My instruments

These are my instruments.

A part of vacuum former:


It consists of:
- Steel tray for cooking. $1. Bought from nearby shop.
- Waterworks pipe screw. $3. Bought from nearby shop.

I drilled the tray and glued the screw by glue gun.

The glue gun and the drill:




Common things I always have. You can buy enough things by $2 and $50.

A part of vacuum former:


Waterworks flexible pipe. $6. Bought from nearby shop. I connect a side to tray with screw, another to vacuum cleaner with duct tape.

The vacuum cleaner:)


A part of vacuum former:


Left is film side up, right is tray side up. They are plaster and I made them by casting and drilling.

Lego, burnt plaster and clay:


Lego: picked from garbage dump ago.
Burnt plaster: Enough quantity by $10. Bought from nearby shop.
Clay: Enough by $3. Bought from nearby shop.

Lego is nice to make mold frame. Clay is for molding keycap mount base. If you forget filling the keycap's overhang, keycap mount base doesn't come off. I did the mistake once...

Plaster casting is complicated process a bit. I recommend you to learn well first. FYI, I used dish soap as parting agent.

Inkjet printer:


$100 with non-oem dye-sub ink. Bought from a seller in Japan. I don't know what ink exactly, but very common things, I suppose.

Heat gun:


Very common thing. $20. Bought from Amazon.co.jp.

Pyrometer for temperature control:


$16. Bought from Amazon.co.jp. But mine is too narrow range. I recommend you over 200℃ ready model, $20.

Up to this point, instruments are common things. Non-oem dye-sub ink is not uncommon. Search Amazon.com.

From here, special stuffs.

Silicone rubber sheet:


The photo's is cut to fit keycap mount. Originally it was A3 size and I bought by 10 pcs set from Shenzhen Basya via Aliexpress. The 10 pcs set price is... $95. I have 9 pcs expensive sheet purposelessly...

Silicone rubber sheet is a problem because it should be very soft. I bought some other sheets, but they are not as soft as Shenzhen Basya's. I recommend you to get 3D sublimation machine's sheet, if not Shenzhen Basya's.

Sublimation film:


The photo's is printed and cut. Originally A4 size.

The film is a problem, too.

First, I bought it from Shenzhen Basya. But now, they stop selling the item. You can find some alternatives at Aliexpress by searching 3D sublimation film, but I hear, gold film is not as good as transparent one.

Second, the film is expensive. I bought it as 100 pcs set by $200... Alternatives are about the same as expensive, too.

Keycap puller:


WASD Keyboard's. An accessory of their blank keycaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment